Sunday, July 24, 2005


Yesterday we went on a trip up through Hatch to Hillsboro and down through the Gila National Forest. We did more driving than anything else, but it was refreshing for me not to have to be behind the wheel. Plus, the scenery was gorgeous. The temperature dropped at least twenty degrees when we reached the mountains. For once, we didn't have a single complaint about the heat from the peanut gallery.

We stopped at a campground to let the kids run around and it started to drizzle. Everything smelled so good. If we would have brought the tent and some food, we would have stayed overnight. Next time!

There was one point, when we were driving across the flat stretch near the City of Rocks, when it hit me just how lucky I am. The sky opened up all around us, filled with clouds and the scent of rain. Mike reached out and grabbed my hand, holding it across the space between our seats. I love those moments when you feel so close and there is no need for words.

The last few days have been great.

Mike called and had the cable turned back on a little early. We turn it off over the summer to encourage the kids to use their imaginations. This year, I have missed it more than anyone else. I miss my foodtv and courttv and music and movies. This has been a hard summer for me, physically and emotionally and I can't wait to go to the doctor on the 29th. Until then, I have the cable back on so I have some adult voices to listen to during the day. A few weeks of cartoons isn't going to kill the kids, right?

See the pictures from our trip on flickr: set | slideshow


// posted by Kristal @ 2:25 PM